16 July 2010

It just is

A family I know is going through some times. Multiple cancers in the family history and now a terminal one in the present. Divorce of a child who by all means cannot take care of himself. But this family comes from a strong religious background steeped in prayer and by all views from afar, a chaste life. A moral life.

You say to no one in particular. 'They are such a religious and pious family. How can this happen to them? Weren't their prayers answered?' The thing is, just because you pray and believe in a religious figure, it doesn't give you immunity from life. Bad situations are going to happen to everyone. Had this family had no religious background, you might be saying 'See it serves them right. If they had been in church praying this whole time instead of out...well you know. It wouldn't have happened' Just exactly how do you know that? If I take two people and line them up against the wall. Fire bullets dead center into both. One on the left is the Pope. One on the right is a homeless man holding a bottle of Jack Daniels, a pack of cigarettes and pulling his grocery cart of life. Both men are going to die. The bullets will not be deflected by the Pope's prayers. Nor will homeless man's obliviousness to the situation.

That is what I struggle with on a daily basis and realize just how lucky I am not to have to need to fall back on deity to get me through the day. When I am out of work, will the phone magically ring because I want it to? When I can't make the payment for the car, will the money just show up on my doorstep like some cobbler fairy tale? No. It won't and life should not be led with the expectation of the unexpected.

No comments: