24 October 2011

Notes

-Picked up the new book by Chuck Palahniuk, found Phil Hendrie podcasts, new album by Tom Waits hits this week.

-On the drive to work, I plug in to the Phil Hendrie show on Podcast and it makes the commute painless. Over the weekend, I sat and listened to part of the show with my son and I had to fight to hold back the truth about the show. Let him figure it out on his own.

-On the way home, the homeless guy underneath the underpass at Damen and Webster approaches my car at the stop sign. Doesn't say anything. Just stands there like he's guarding the sign with his cart full of cans. I ease forward and in the rear view mirror he's no longer by the sign. He's made his way over the concrete barrier and has made his bed.

-On the way to the haunted house with my kids and their friends,stop at McDonald's drive thru. Actually break down and go through the drive thru no matter how much I hate it. A guy in a Packers jersey and baseball cap backwards approaches my car while I'm paying. 'Can you help me out? My wife is over there on the corner and our car just broke down. We need someone to help me fix a flat.' Normally I don't stop. Too many propositions at the L or Blockbuster when they existed. Guilt? No. I don't feel it. Just confidence that I'm doing the right thing. I mean, if your car breaks down and you are with your family, is your first thought to hit up the people waiting in line at the fast food restaurant? At the corner I see one woman waiting for...the bus.

No comments: