01 November 2005

Ghost stories never happen to someone you know. Always someone who knows someone. And if you have a ghost story you have been a part of, no one knows about it because people would laugh at you. Some would call mine sleep paralysis. Some would call it just plain paranoia or psychosis. The other night I was sitting at my desk working on paperwork. Bills, notes, work that should have stayed at work. When I looked up, I saw a black clould float by and go by the bathroom. A chill went up my spine and down into my toes. Had I just seen one and if so, should I tell my kids? Inside the bathroom was my younger than 7 daugther taking a bath with the door open. Not 30 seconds after I saw the black clould go by, I hear a voice from the bathroom "Daddy, can you come here?" I let it go for three times, then finally got up to see what she wanted. I was still trembling from my own visions. "Daddy, was that a real ghost that went by the door? Had she really seen a ghost? Had she really known that I had seen something too, without even knowing what I was doing? My heart was beating more than ever now. I shook and answered: Yes. I think it was. Strange to say to a person so young and impressionable. "But daddy, that didn't feel like a good ghost to me. That felt like a bad ghost. Don't let him come back again, ok?" And down her head went behind the ceramic of the tub. And the curtain closed. I stood there for 15 seconds or more just breathing heavily and then walked away. Ghost stories do happen. Ghosts are real and they don't all come in these fashions. Not every ghost is a vision that can be caught with a camera and preserved. Many ghosts are caught and perserved in your mind. These ghosts never go away. This kind of logic is not new. Certainly these ideas have been around for millions of years. But what of the years now? What ghost stories do you have to tell? Urban legends? Certain people have been telling me stories about the military for years and I refused to believe them. Does that make me paranoid or an obstructionist to history?

No comments: